I know, I know, you’re not a baby. You wear underwear and everything and you’re almost 4!
But I remember sitting on the couch 4 years ago tonight, anxious to meet you the next day. And I remember holding you in my arms for the first time, just like it was yesterday.
So I am sorry to have to tell you this, but you will forever be my baby.
You know that I love to cuddle with you, hear you sing, watch you dance, hear you tell me “I’m just messin with ya!” and watch you be an “art worker”. You also know that you infuriate me and drive me crazy.
But what you don’t know is that when I look at you, I am in awe:
- I admire your strength. You fall down and get right back up. You don’t let other people stand in your way or upset you. When you want something, you go out and grab it.
- You’re so damned cute!
- You give 110% to everything that you do, whether you are laughing or drawing a picture or throwing a fit.
- You don’t make acquaintances, you make friends…everywhere you go. You are out-going and friendly and you open your heart to new people without a second thought. I can’t count the number of times you have invited strangers over to our house, because they were your new best friend.
- You have a confidence I envy.
- You have a way of being tough as nails and super gentle all at the same time.
- You find a way to make things work the way you want them to, regardless of the obstacles you face. My first indication of this was when you were about 13 months old. You kept trying to put your head on a pillow on the floor, but Danny was insistent that the pillows be in a very tall pile, one that went over your head. Every time you stole away a pillow to lie on, he would take it and put it back on top of the pile. After a few minutes of this, you stopped, left the pile, grabbed a stool, dragged it over to the pillow pile (all by yourself), climbed on the stool until you stood above the pillow pile and lied down on top of it.
It was then that I knew that you were going to
take life by the balls take charge of your life and make it work for you.
I look forward to watching you grow up into the amazing woman I know you will be, but remember you will always be my baby and I will forever reserve the right to kiss the tip of your nose or squeeze your cheeks.
I love you more than you know! Happy birthday Sweets!