I spent a majority of the holiday season, crafting (who am I?), baking and hosting parties…and also collecting ideas of things to blog about. The problem is I never wrote about any of it. Now it all seems a bit dated and overwhelming, because I have so many ideas. I think I should just bag all the ideas and start fresh, but I have so many ideas jumping around in my head, that I just can’t.
So, I am going to resort to my favorite writing method – the list, jot down my ideas, update you on the past month, and allow you, my dear readers, to tell me if you want to hear more about any of it. Isn’t that cool and interactive of me? (Yes, yes it is – just go with it.)
1. Pinterest-inspired drive-in movie party
It was a lot of work and gluing shit to spray-painted cardboard really SUCKS, but the kids dubbed it “the coolest party ever” and the moms were suitably impressed with my creativity despite my protests that I stole the idea from Pinterest and cleaned it up a bit by giving the kids stick-on car details, rather than letting them paint.
2. Vintage ornament wreath (also Pinterest-inspired – let’s just say everything crafty I do is in one way or another inspired or informed by Pinterest and call it a day – k?)
I found this box of old ornaments in my basement and my memory flashed back to something I had seen on Pinterest and I just HAD to make it. I dug up the hot glue gun I purchased nearly a decade ago, discovered why hot glue sticks come in such big bags, and I gave myself a hot glue gun blister on my trigger finger.
But I LOVE it. It reminds me of everything that was awesome about Christmas as a kid – how I used to break the really pretty ornaments as a kid to see if there was something cooler inside, how the holidays even made my grumpy grandpa giddy, how I loved going to this house an old guy in Uniondale used to decorate for Christmas with random shit like doll heads.
This wreath is in fact so me, that next time I am nominated to go on Rachael Ray because of my ugly shoes and someone asks for my sense of style, I will show them this picture – in it you have vintage, ornate things, things that have lost their luster but are still awesome anyway, things that are full of comfort but totally unattractive (see the yellow snowman and velour reindeer) and the standard classics.
3. Salt dough ornaments
I made a buttload of these. The kids loved painting them.
4. I dyed my hair red with purple highlights (not really highlights – stripes? chunks?)
There is something about being in my mid-30s that makes me want to do shit I want to do now, rather than later – see the above ornament wreath for proof.
5. I knit now
6. Brown butter is still awesome
7. Samantha is in prime – Christmas is awesome, no matter what I get – age; Danny has passed his prime
8. I hate taking pictures for the Christmas card
9. But I LOVE this pic (think it’s the kicked up leg)
10. Soon we take the kids to Disney!!
11. Jotting down ideas in list form apparently means run on sentences and poor grammar. Sorry!