Cities I go to A LOT, like Dallas, Los Angeles, Boston. In these cities:
- I know the airport like the back of my hand.
- The hotel employees recognize me. I know the different room layouts, have preferences and feel comfortable there. I don’t have the “I am not sleeping in my own bed” feeling that keeps me from sleeping.
- I have a routine there, that is just for that place, and I schedule my work around that routine. In Dallas, I set aside time to go to the mall. It is my favorite mall in the whole country. In Los Angeles, I make sure I have time to eat breakfast outside at the W Westwood restaurant (assuming they will let me – I get strange looks when it is 40 degrees) and I go for a walk around Westwood at some point.
- I even have a food routine. I have at least one Starbucks location I frequent in each of these cities. In Boston, I have to get the seafood risotto. In Dallas, I must get Five Guys, and will even ask the hotel to get it for me, if my flight is running late. In Los Angeles, I must get Diddy Reise, In n Out Burger and often some Jamba Juice.
And cities that have a definite feel/personality that fit my personality, like Boston, San Diego and now Austin. These cities:
- Know who they are and shout about it, especially Austin and San Diego. Boston has a quieter feel, but it’s a Northeast vibe that I enjoy.
- Have cool stores, boutiques, etc., especially with a homemade/artsy feel.
- Are walkable
- Have a history
- Value food in all its forms, from cheap to fancy.
I am very happy to have just added Austin to this list. I am currently on the flight home from my first trip there. Within moments of getting off the plane, I knew what Austin would be like and it made me smile. I only spent a few hours exploring the city, but I definitely fell in love with the culture, the food (best margarita and best fish taco I have ever had at Guero’s) and the people. Next time I come and there will be a next time, possibly even with the family, I shall be touring all the food trucks, especially the one with the Electric Cock sign, because how could I not?
And I will be capping off the month with a trip to San Diego, with tons of downtime, so Yay!