On this Valentine’s Day, I would like to focus on the two great loves of my life, the two people who never fail to make me laugh – my babies.
Except, I don’t do poetry. I can only readily think of 4-letter rhyming words, which is awkward when Danny asks me for words that rhyme with dump truck. So I am going to express my love in the form of a list, but if you ever want help writing a dirty limerick, I’m your girl.
I love Danny because……
- He’s the kindest, most considerate person I’ve ever met. I don’t take credit for his kindness, but I am doing my best not to mess it up.
- He has big beautiful eyes that are the perfect shade of golden brown.
- He loves to dance, but is kind of spazzy. When he gets mad, he sometimes expresses his frustration in the form of dance, a la West Side Story.
- He sounds a bad word alarm when I curse or say something mean.
- He takes care of his little sister. He even drew a picture of her for Valentine’s Day.
- He tells jokes that aren’t funny, but his laugh is so infectious you have no choice but to laugh anyway.
- He’s a momma’s boy through and through.
- He is a budding chef.
- He is the perfect mixture of thoughtful, mature and typical boy. He once went from asking if a tree could be hurt if it couldn’t say ow, to calling someone (I think me) a butthead, without even stopping for a breath.
- He gives great hugs.
- He’s always there with a kiss and a comforting word.
- He has a memory like no other kid I’ve ever seen, which made him hard to distract as a baby, but never fails to impress.
- He is fun to shop with and has excellent, but expensive taste. For example, the dozen red roses that are sitting on my kitchen counter.
- He has grand plans…the latest plan is to create a basement playroom with his daddy.
I love Samantha because…..
- She has huge cheeks, with a giant dimple in one side.
- She is fiercely independent. At 2 years old, she is picking out her own clothes and has been known to kiss her own booboos.
- She is incredibly smart. She knows how everything works. If she doesn’t know how something works, she has the patience and perseverance to sit down and figure it out.
- She is stingy with her affection, but when she gives you a kiss, she gives it her all. She grabs you by the ears with both hands and pulls you close, before planting a big smooch.
- She loves to color/paint and really focuses on getting the details just right. Her teachers tell me she is very dedicated when she paints her hands and arms in class.
- She loves cheering for her brother at soccer and can’t wait to play soccer herself. She is insisting that her brother, or as she calls him, “my friend, Danny” watches too.
- She has a crazy fashion sense and has no trouble rejecting outfit after outfit with a dismissive “bor-ning!”.
- She is just as happy wearing a tutu as she is playing in the dirt.
- When she gives you a dirty look with her piercing green eyes, you can feel it to the bottom of your soul.
- She is tough. She doesn’t let anyone push her around, no matter how old or how big (except for maybe the witch in her bed). If you are doing something she doesn’t like, you are going to hear about it.
- She loves to sing about what she’s doing or who she’s with, usually in falsetto complete with sweeping arm gestures.
- Ever since she was able to stand, she would dance to Whoomp! There it is.
- She is the bravest kid. She was climbing tall slides, before she could really walk.
- Lately, whenever I am saying something she doesn’t like, she tries to distract me by saying “Eyeball? Yucky.”